Steeple Aston Life is a monthly magazine for Steeple Aston and Middle Aston. It is delivered free of charge to every home in the two villages and is also available in the village shop, at 50p per copy.
SAL has been in existence since 1973 and in April 2015 reached its 500th issue. This achievement was celebrated with a special edition. Another recent achievement was winning the “Best Content” category of the National Parish Magazine awards in 2014, coming third overall out of 600+ entries nationwide.
The 44-page magazine consists of:
- Regular news and reports from local clubs and societies, such as the WI, Youth Club, Football and Cricket clubs, Valentine club, the Guides, etc.
- A useful Directory of village organisations, contact names and phone numbers.
- Updates on issues of particular local importance, such as Government policy, plans and progress regarding conservation, commercial and housing development, road building, availability of high-speed broadband, etc.
- Interesting articles on a variety of subjects: cookery, the history of the village, bee keeping, former village resident Iris Murdoch, the origins of proverbs, one resident’s Round the World yacht race experiences, quirks of language usage, Household Hints, crime prevention advice, limericks and gardening tips.
- Regular monthly columns from the Rector and the local District Councillor.
- Reports on the Parish Council meetings each month.
- Adverts and information about village events, such as the Harvest Supper, Bonfire Night, social events, concerts, drama productions, special occasions at school and church, fund-raising events, and more
- The opportunity for residents to express their views, through the Editor’s Letterbox page.
- Essential local information such as arts events listings, church service times, a calendar with dates, times and venues of local events.
- A puzzle for children and a puzzle for adults each month.
- Family announcements (births, marriages, deaths, special anniversaries and birthdays).
- Adverts for a wide variety of local commercial businesses and services.
If you wish to contribute an article to the magazine, or to include a notice, report or letter please contact the Editor.
For everything to do with advertising, please contact Bob Wilkins. Further details on page 1 of the magazine.
Tel: 01869 347209
Advertising: Bob Wilkins
Tel: 01869 340790
Treasurer: Vaughan Billings
Tel: 01869 340857
Secretary: Jenny Taylor
Tel: 01869 340551